articles

[THE OLD TOWN CENTRE] - [HÄMEENKATU BECOMES THE MAIN ROUTE] - [FROM ANNEXATIONS TO ESTATES]

From annexations to estates
Ilona Koivisto and Tiina Tuulasvaara-Kaleva

Outside the city centre, town plans were drawn in the Amuri area in the 1860s in order to build houses for the working population. The inhabitants were tenants in the so-called joint kitchen apartments; each family had a room of their own, but the kitchen was used jointly by all the families in the corridor. Armonkallio and Tammela were planned in adherence to the traditional chequered plan and the areas were populated by former inhabitants of Kyttälä. Some of them also moved outside the city limits to Northern Pirkkala on the Pispala Ridge. There was no town plan, and plans for buildings were also largely unknown.

In 1913 the city purchased the rest of the Hatanpää Manor grounds; the city reached to Sääksjärvi in the south, and the eastern Kissanmaa area also became part of town. A city plan following the contours of the terrain was realised in the Pyynikki area in the beginning of the twentieth century, otherwise the garden suburb idea mainly manifested itself in one-family house areas. Small leased lots were reserved for the working population in Käpylä and Viinikka, and later one-family houses also spread to the southern and eastern parts of the city. The most important change of the 1930's was the annexation of Northern Pirkkala to Tampere.

click here click here click here click here click here

The eastern district of Kaleva was planned in 1940. Its buildings represented the functionalist ideology complete with lamella houses and open blocks. The first tower blocks in the city were built in Kaleva. Lamminpää and Rahola were planned after the Second World War as areas housing both small houses and blocks of flats. The owners often built their one-family houses themselves with the help of voluntary work. Messukylä was annexed to the city in 1947 and one-family houses rose in the former fields in the 1950s and 1960s. Lielahti in the west was also annexed to the city.

click here click here click here click here

The social change of the 1960s brought many people from the countryside to Tampere. The housing shortage was solved by regional building and prefabricated blocks of flats. Amuri and Tammela grew vertically, as blocks of flats replaced the blocks of low wooden houses. Prefabricated buildings were also constructed in the city's first housing estates Tesoma, Peltolammi, and Multisilta. The living conditions of the estate inhabitants often improved when the apartments were equipped with water closets, bathtubs and balconies. However, the services in the areas were often inadequate. The governing building type in the commercial and industrial areas constructed outside the city centre was a one-storied hall. In the 1960s plans were made in Tampere for a large daughter or satellite city: the Hervanta plan was closely tied to the building of the Technical University next to the settlement on the other side of the main route. The building started in 1972. Hervanta's services developed better than they did in the other estates.

click here click here

The rural areas of Aitolahti and Teisko in the north-eastern part of Tampere were the next ones to be annexed to Tampere; Aitolahti in 1966 and Teisko in 1972. Small one-family houses and terraced houses joined the old houses of Aitolahti. Teisko's population had diminished; after the annexation its vigour was restored, although not many new houses were built there. Teisko was already familiar to many Tampere inhabitants as a summer resort:” Let's travel abroad to Teisko” was still a living utterance among Tampere townspeople.

click here click here

backHämeenkatu becomes the main route Back to startback to start