the rapids1897
heavy 1480kt
light 646kt

heavy 479kt
light 202kt

finlayson museum 1321kt


Factory areas
Tiina Tuulasvaara-Kaleva

The lots on the bank of the rapids on the eastern border of Tampere were planned to be used by manufacturers and industry. The first artisan workshops on the bank belonged to dyers, who employed the water power on the lower and upper parts of the rapids. Although a paper works operated in the middle section of the rapids already in the 1780s, the use of water power was small in scale; near the shore the water was used by the spa in the central quiet section of the rapids and the pharmacist's herb gardens, in addition to which there were places along the bank where the townspeople fetched their water. In the beginning of the nineteenth century the current was made stronger. The peasants on the shores of Lake Näsijärvi built a channel called the Teisko flume at their own expense in the upstream part of the rapids on the city's side and the Crown had Tammerkoski cleaned out.

click here

James Finlayson founded a cotton factory at the upper fall of the rapids in 1820. However, it took a long time before the industrialisation by the banks of the rapids really got under way. In the 1860s, the Kattohuopatehdas roofing felt factory using pulp as the raw material for its boards began its operation on the western bank on the city's side. A wool factory and dye works had started downstream in Kehräsaari already a decade before. In the upper parts of the rapids a blast furnace was first built on the eastern bank outside the city area in the 1840s, later a linen factory, the two of which combined into Tampereen Pellava- ja Rauta- Teollisuus Osake-Yhtiö (Tampere Linen and Iron Industry Ltd.) in 1861. Verkatehdas cloth factory moved to the lower fall from Jokioinen in the 1850s. The Crown mill had of old operated in Myllyniemi in the centre of the rapids.

click here click here click here

backBridges Water powerforward