articles

panorama:
alaranta 196kt

panorama:
mältinranta
heavy 479kt
light 202kt

[WATER TRAFFIC] - [RAILWAYS] - [ON ROADS AND STREETS] - [AIR TRAFFIC]
[POST AND TELEPHONE] - [THE PRESS] - [RADIO AND TELEVISION] - [TELEINFORMATICS]

Post and telephone
Ilona Koivisto and Tiina Tuulasvaara-Kaleva

Post and telephone Around the time when Tampere was founded the post office was first located at the Crown's distillery in Mältinranta. A little later it moved to the city centre, facilitating the townspeople with easier trips to fetch their mail from the office. The mail arrived at Tampere once a week from Turku and Hämeenlinna, and daily mail deliveries did not become reality before the introduction of the railway. In 1865 faster exchange of communication got possible when the Tampere telegraph office opened its doors. The telephone provided an instant contact to and from Tampere in 1882. In 1891 Tampereen Telefooni-Osakeyhtiö got exclusive rights to exchange telephone calls in the city and its immediate vicinity. A group of businessmen and technically oriented engineers discontinued the company and founded Tampereen Puhelinosuuskunta to replace it in 1920. Its goal was to pay attention to the interests of the people who ordered a telephone, and reforms followed: the aerial lines were changed into underground cables and attempts were made to automate the operation after the company's own building was finished. The co-operative changed into a stockholding company during the business arrangements of the 1990s.

click here click here click here click here click here
 

backAir traffic The pressforward